Sunday, January 23, 2011

Guest Room Furniture

I'm a little late in writing this post, but I'd like to give a BIG shout out & thank you to Josh's Mom & Step Dad for giving us their bedroom furniture for our guest room.

We were given their sleigh bed, sweater chest, and we were supposed to get their night stand too but there was a mix up so for now we have one of their old end tables. I am hoping to eventally find some sort of night stand that is a little bit taller because the bed sits considerably higher than height of the end table.

Sleigh bed & end table:
Sweater Chest (before):I changed out all of the knobs on the sweater chest to give it a different look, but I didn't take a good before picture. The black knobs on the bottom in the picture above are what was on the Sweater Chest, and here's the complete new look:
Now we just need guests to go along with our guest room furniture :)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Revamped Dresser

I bought this dresser for $30 off of Craigslist. It was being kept in a storage facility so I think the owner was happy to get rid of it, and I was happy to bring it home with me. :)
She is solid wood with dove tail joints. She had a few rough spots, but not too many compared to other pieces that I have bought before.I decided that I wanted to try my hand at staining this go around, so I decided to try out the "pottery barn" look that I have been seeing more and more on Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Friday.
Here is the final product. I think Josh is really happy with how it turned out. Every time he passes it he says, "Dear, your dresser looks REALLY good!" After the 4th time of hearing that, I began to wonder if was he doubting my mad crafting skills. : ) I am really in love with the final look. After I stained the top of the dresser, I had to just stand back and stare at it for a good minute becuase the stained top turned out so pretty.
I painted the bottom of the dresser with Antique White Valspar from Lowes. I was able to use the oil based primer and paint that I used on my china cabinet that I did this summer so I had no expense in paint! I also already had the Strip-Ease for stripping the top of the dresser.
I purchased English Chestnut Minwax stain and Wipe on Poly for the top, and I purchased a dark bronze Rustoleom spray paint and I already had the white primer for the knobs and handles.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

My First My Digital Studio Creation

I was planning on doing another post tonight, but I got a little wrapped up playing with Stampin' Up!'s My Digital Studio, which is a digital crafting software. A year after our trip to New York, I thought now would be the perfect time to tackle scrapbooking our trip as I learn how to use MDS. Here's my first page. It is going to be the cover page, the first one you will see when you open the front cover.